Contact us about Postpartum Doulas!
Postpartum is defined as the period shortly after childbirth, and typically includes the baby’s first year of life.
Your Emerald City Doula has attended ProDoula’s Certified Postpartum Doula Training. They will provide judgment free support, and are trained to provide you with education, comfort, and resources right where you need it most as a new parent: in your own home. They don’t make decisions for you, they provide you with the information you need to make decisions for yourself and your family. Your doula will support you in those choices.
Your postpartum doula nurtures parents, baby, siblings, and others who are providing support to the family.
An Emerald City postpartum doula:
- Provides completely non-judgmental physical, educational, and emotional support.
- Can provide non-medical information and support to mom on her own physical recovery from birth.
- Can care for baby while mom cares for herself (shower, nap, exercise, outings, etc).
- Our Overnight Doulas can gift you with sleep!
- Can demonstrate newborn care techniques such as swaddling, bathing, diapering, umbilical or circumcision care, and much more.
- Is happy to discuss various parenting philosophies, and allow parents to voice their concerns, opinions, needs, and wishes.
- Is trained to recognize signs and symptoms of postpartum depression, can help teach those who are supporting mom how to recognize them as well, and has resources to recommend if requested.
- Watches for things that are outside the “normal range” and can refer to appropriate caregivers. This could apply to breastfeeding, mom’s health, child development, and much more.
- Can provide sibling care or care for the newborn so mom can spend time with siblings.
- Can do light housekeeping (dishes, sweep or vacuum, laundry, grocery shopping, preparing meals, etc).
Emerald City Doulas only works with ProDoula trained and certified/pre-certified doulas. This is because we truly believe in the ProDoula philosophy of non-judgmental physical, educational, and emotional support. We empower parents, and provide the support and information you want, so you can make the choices you feel are right for your family. We come with absolutely no agenda. We will always support and respect your individual birthing and parenting philosophies.